Sunday, 8 July 2012

Homemade Peanut Butter

I try to be conscious about what additives go into my food. It's especially important because by the time I have kids, I want to be eating healthy. The last thing I want is to be poisoning my children without realising.

I have been reading Additive Alert by Julie Eady recently. I was pretty shocked when I read the section on peanut butter. In Australia, because of a loophole in food labelling, if something makes up less than 5% of a product it doesn't have to be listed on the label. How crazy is that?

For this reason, it is likely that a chemical called BHA (butylated hydroxyanisole) is in our peanut butter. This additive is a known carcinogen in animals, and can affect the reproductive system. It also accumulates in your system and is difficult to eradicate once it's a problem...So who's for making your own peanut butter?

This is a recipe I have adapted from the Thermomix Everyday Cookbook. You could make it using a food processor though.


Ingredients:
400g unsalted roasted peanuts.
4 tbs grapeseed oil.


Method:
Blend up the peanuts for about 15 seconds. You might add another few seconds depending on how smooth you want it to be.
Add the grapeseed oil and turn the food processor back on for another 15 seconds.

This is what the peanuts will look like after being chopped for 15 seconds.


Too easy, hey? Why not get fancy and make a nut butter with pecans or hazelnuts?


This tastes great with celery. Mmmm...one of my favourite snacks!


2 comments:

  1. I think I will be making mine from now on as well. I didn't know about the chemicals. You still need to provide a sample so I'm sure mine tastes the same as yours. ;)

    ReplyDelete