Friday, 24 August 2012

Perry the Platypus Costume

I am, by no means, an excellent sewer. Not yet. My sewing usually consists of me using the machine to make up bits and pieces. I usually get annoyed at myself for cutting corners and dodging things like finishing off the edges of the fabric. I get frustrated easily.


So it was a brilliant shock that my costume for the school social turned out to be pretty good!

The theme for the night was 'Superheroes and Villains.' I kind of stretched that theme a little to come up with my outfit. So many kids were really creative too. We had the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Zena Warrior Princess, Buzz Lightyear, Tarzan and Jane and Darth Vader.

So how did I come to be dressed as a blue duck-looking thing? My husband and I love tuning in to the kids cartoon Phineas and Ferb, so it seemed like a fun idea to dress up as Perry the Platypus. I went looking online and found a hat on eBay. 'Awesome,' I thought, 'Now where to get the jumpsuit from?'

Yes. I had to sew it. A men's jumpsuit pattern and couple of metres of fabric later, I was all set. I needed some help from my lovely friends Fiona and Claire, but in the end I worked it all out. Just in time for the event, too!

I paired it with my Converse hi-tops, a platypus (carboard/fabric) 'tail' and my husband's Akubra hat. I needed that to complete the look.

It did get a little bit warm on the night with all the dancing. But the onesie has made an excellent set of Pyjamas since! So toasty warm!








Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment