Wednesday, 15 August 2012

Sample Quilt: New techniques (Part 2)

A couple of weeks ago I posted about the sample quilt I am working on (labouring intensively on...) I forgot to mention last time that we are being taught to hand piece and hand quilt. So this quilt could be continuing for quite a while!

I'm going to share the remaining blocks with you today. The quilt has nine blocks in the end, so there are four more you haven't seen yet. Please forgive me if I can't remember the names of the blocks. I will learn with time!


The next block I completed was this pinwheel one. I loved the fabrics I used on this one. It was fairly simple to do in the end and I was beginning to feel a little more confident in my skills.


The Dresden Plate was a block I was familiar with. My Nana had cushions with this pattern when I was a kid. I loved them and used to spend a lot of time matching the patterns. I was really please with the way this one turned out, even if it is a little uneven in parts. If I could change anything about this one, I would take out that red fabric. It just stands out too much I think.


Then we were on to paper piecing! Wow, this technique was actually really fun to do. I think paper piecing is also called 'English piecing'. My first go was on this Grandma's Garden block.



Still using the paper piecing method, I moved on to these diamonds. Again, I still have a fair bit of practice before I am a superstar quilter, but I am still pleased with my efforts. I love the Autumn colours on this one.

Soon I will post a bit of an update to show you my progress in the quilting stage. It is coming together and it is all a bit exciting!







Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment