Friday, 21 September 2012

One goal down. Yay!

Remember my list of 4 Simple Goals? Well, I've knocked one over already!

Goal number 4 was 'Read a book for myself, not for school.' Two weeks ago, I read a book from my collection, called Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta. I love that novel, and each time I read it I find other clues and details I must have skimmed over the last time. I think I've read it about 5 times now.

But then it was like I got bitten with the reading bug (or perhaps I was just after more Melina?) I went to her website, and discovered a sequel to another book in my collection (Finnikin of the Rock.) The sequel is called Froi of the Exiles.


Now, I must say first that Finnikin amazed me. I hadn't expected Marchetta to write a fantasy, and boy, did she write it well. Having said that, I thought the character of Froi was very uninteresting when I read Finnikin. I was happy to give it a shot, though, because she has never let me down with her other novels (Looking For Alibrandi; Saving Francesca; The Piper's Son) In fact, her writing is so inspiring that I had to see what she did with such a blank character in the sequel.

And that's where Marchetta is an absolute genius. Because Froi came with very little information in terms of his background, culture and character, learning each new detail in Froi of the Exiles startled me as a reader. I found myself in a panic, trying to connect the dots between characters and events, always asking myself, 'Why is this significant? Who is Froi?'


In short, Froi of the Exiles was another excellent piece of writing. The size of the book freaked me out at first, but I chewed through it in a weekend. Now I can't wait for the third novel in the series to come out!

I have just realised this post became a bit of a review, so I may as well give it a rating out of 10 stars. I give Froi of the Exiles 7.5 stars out of 10. It's perfect for young adults and adults alike, especially those who are interested in the fantasy genre.

Now I'm off to reward myself for completing the goal...bring on New Girl and coffee! What a great start to the school holidays!


No comments:

Post a Comment