Sunday, 5 May 2013

Stockpiling Food for Later

Over the past few weeks (and months, really) I have had a fair bit of time around the house. Apart from unpacking boxes, cleaning and doing those annoying day-to-day jobs, I have been a little restless. It's been difficult going from full-time work to casual, then to maternity leave. Instead of watching too much television, I've preferred to busy myself with sewing projects, reorganising rooms, keeping my brain busy (I love FreeCell at the moment!) and making food to freeze for when baby comes.


I assume I won't want to be cooking every night after baby's arrival, but I also don't want to settle for bad takeaway or MSG-ridden pre-packed things. The Thermomix will be really handy to whip up meals later on, so I have tried to make some meals that I don't use the Thermomix for.

The slow-cooker (crock pot) has been amazingly helpful. I can make large quantities, I can do it early in the morning when I have the most energy and we get a feed for dinner as well. I generally have made dinner plus three extra serves for two.

So far, this is what I have made:

  • Minestrone soup
  • Lamb and vegetable soup
  • Chicken, leek and mushroom meal base (I'll just serve with rice)
  • Vegetable and beef pies
  • Chorizo, kale and other vegetable soup
  • Pumpkin soup
  • Lasagne (with eggplant and zucchini etc.)
  • Cranberry and currant cookies (these are frozen in logs)
  • Choc chip cookies (these were frozen in an ice tray)
I realise there is a lot of soup, but that is mostly because we are going into Winter soon, and it is just so easy to reheat soup and add some bread!

I am feeling rather productive. Slowing down was necessary, however, as we have begun to run out of room in our chest freezer! I've filled it with too many meals!



No comments:

Post a Comment